I got this in my email this morning. And I want it. WANT it.
Usually, a situation like this would go down like this: Ah! Opportunity I really want but can't afford. Well, I do have $200 in my bank account. So what if that has to last me until next Friday? What will I need to buy next week? Nothing, I'm sure.
I'd call one of my other money dumb friends and they'd say, Do it! You've always wanted to take a glassblowing class. It's been your DREAM. My dream, I'd say. You're right! You only live once. I'll charge it, borrow from my mom, whatever I have to do to get my dream.
Well, I can tell you right now that my dream is to be financially stable. More than anything, I want to not have that claustrophobic feeling, those ropes of debt and cashlessness tied around me.
I have to get comfortable with my opportunity costs, which are anything you give up to pursue any other action. All those nights out, all those nice cloths, and, now, that glassblowing class I've always wanted to take.
Opportunity costs are always infinite. At any given time, you are not touring the wine country in Italy, you are not seeing the blossoms in Japan, you are not eating at the finest restaurant in NYC. It's only those things that are waved in our face that bother us, when someone invites us on a trip or when a coupon service offers us half-off something we still can't afford. Turn away, as quickly as you can and just don't think about it.

0 comments:
Post a Comment