I'm a money idiot.
This means that I've paid more in NSF charges than I have for the things I was trying to purchase in the first place. This means that I can't go in to a gas station and just buy gas, I must leave with a candy bar or a snazzy pair of glasses. This means that I'm currently being charged 28 percent interest on beers I bought two years ago. This means that I know which ATMs will give you cash in increments of ten dollars instead of twenty, for all those times I've had about $14 and needed spending money. This means I can't say no, and will say yes without doing the math.
Being a money idiot is not about being broke. It's about missing some piece of your brain that you know other people developed somehow, that thing that says, "You don't have money for that," no matter how cute it is or how hot it makes you look. We money idiots say, "I need it!" We don't have the money for it, of course, but these nice people who work at places like Visa and Mastercard will loan us the money, because they know how badly we need things.
It's a tough world out there for money idiots. The credit industry gives us enough rope not only to hang ourselves, but to tie and quarter ourselves. We're told as many as 5,000 times a day that we need more and more.
My goal is to break the cycle we live in, to go from credit to savings, (tempted to put a ha ha here, but I will not! This is serious.)
Being a money idiot is not about being broke. It's about missing some piece of your brain that you know other people developed somehow, that thing that says, "You don't have money for that," no matter how cute it is or how hot it makes you look. We money idiots say, "I need it!" We don't have the money for it, of course, but these nice people who work at places like Visa and Mastercard will loan us the money, because they know how badly we need things.
It's a tough world out there for money idiots. The credit industry gives us enough rope not only to hang ourselves, but to tie and quarter ourselves. We're told as many as 5,000 times a day that we need more and more.
My goal is to break the cycle we live in, to go from credit to savings, (tempted to put a ha ha here, but I will not! This is serious.)
0 comments:
Post a Comment