A blog for those who are bad with money. A blog for those who have debt. A blog for those who find their bills crumbled on the floor of their cars with ketchup smeared on them.

An Offer You Can't Refuse


If you were to ask me if I could afford a scooter right now, the answer would obviously be: No way.

But...

My friend who is moving away and has this sweet Vespa, which she offered to sell me for $300. (She's the one who's also passing on her sweet apartment.)





I've always wanted a scooty scoot. My best friends had them in college, but I was always too broke. Did I mention that this one matches my seafoam green Converse?

My sister was just talking to me about this trip to Europe. If you asked if she could afford it, she'd be the first to tell you: probably not.

But...

She has this friend who has a free place to stay.

Sometimes, someone makes you an offer you can't refuse. If it's something you've always wanted, if you could never get that kind of deal on it again, and you know you want it some day anyway, I say go for it.

But...

There is this thing called actual cost of ownership. I have never in my life actually calculated it. Hence after rolling nickels to get my first car, I drove around for three months until I could afford the tags, then for six months before I could afford insurance. 

So, as part of my Money Rehab, I'm finding out how much this Vespa will actually cost me. To Excel...

Cost of Scooty scoot $300
Annual motorcycle registration fee:  $43.75
Annual insurance:  $99
Motorcycle instruction permit:  $15
Original motorcycle endorsement:  $25
New license:  $7.72
TOTAL: $490

So, $500 for something I've always wanted, something that will save me time, something that could be an investment if I put money into fixing it up. I think that's worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment