A blog for those who are bad with money. A blog for those who have debt. A blog for those who find their bills crumbled on the floor of their cars with ketchup smeared on them.

Gift Certificate FAIL


I had been holding onto a birthday gift certificate to one of my favorite stores, so that I could really think about exactly what I needed, instead of going in there all impulsively. Sephora is a makeup shop, another one of my meth dens, where at any time I could wake up to find myself penniless in a pile of used makeup remover pads, sleeping on a pillow of shiny new eyeshadows. 

I thought I had a plan when I went in. I needed a top coat of nail polish, because my toe nails are looking funky and taking care of myself is a good way to feel better during these times. I also needed a new eyeshadow for the crease of my lids, as mine in running out. 

I admit, I thought maybe I could go $5 or $6 over the card if I needed to. I grabbed the nail polish, and didn't see the price. I saw some $40 tweezers that made me laugh out loud. I talked to a makeup artist and didn't buy the brushes or the primer she recommended. I just got two shades. I vaguely added them up in my head to the sum of "I should be fine." 

Then at the cash register, a total of $36.68, for this: 

Above and beyond my card, $16.68. 

What have we learned today? Always know the price of everything you are buying, and add it up with the calculator in your phone, not in your head. 

And don't go into Sephora.

1 comments:

Jeri said...

I like your conclusions.

Post a Comment