A blog for those who are bad with money. A blog for those who have debt. A blog for those who find their bills crumbled on the floor of their cars with ketchup smeared on them.

The HOLIDAY$


When you're a kid, it never occurs to you that Christmas trees cost money. Oh yeah, and lights, and ornaments and stockings. I'm starting from scratch and I'm in the mood to go all-out. I haven't had a real Christmas in years. I'm in love, in a new apartment, and in a city that calls for mittens. 

These are all good things, but let's talk budget. I was reaching for lights when I thought, ok, this can't all come out of my weekly $150. This needs to be separate. So I decided, decorations, presents and all: $500. It seems like a lot, but not once I started chipping away at it. Not once I picked up the Christmas Story Leg Lamp replica with no price tag. $30 was my limit, and of course it was $29.99. 

So far:
Ornaments: $16.40
Half of Christmas tree and stand: $40
Lights, tree skirt, leg lamp: $54
Other Misc: $30

Yipes, we're already at $140. I'm going to organize my Christmas gift list, which must remain confidential.

I've already decided that I'm not going to let the money or stress get me down. Life is good. The holidays are a time to celebrate. I'm merry.

1 comments:

Jeri said...

Love your attitude. Just to keep things in check, here is the lesson of the day. Your spending is a reflection of what you value. What do your purchases say about your life? Food for thought, isn't it?

Post a Comment