A blog for those who are bad with money. A blog for those who have debt. A blog for those who find their bills crumbled on the floor of their cars with ketchup smeared on them.

Monthly Money Check-In: April '12


This month I reached a major financial milestone. My goal has always been to reach $10,000 in my 401(k) before the age of 30, and I made it. This fund was started while I was still in college, and now reaffirms the power of little-by-little, over time.

But honestly, I lacked that celebratory feeling I thought I'd get. Maybe it was because at the same time, I was going near ape-shit on the money front, with a friend in town. I realized right before he got here that I had no money plan. We were going to be going snowboarding and going on a road trip. I was essentially going on vacation without budgeting for a vacation. And that's where it ended, knowing I had no plan.

Back when I was a bad waitress, messing up left and right, and saying, "Sorry I forgot those waters," "Sorry I didn't write down that order," my boss said to me, "No more sorry's." As in, stop apologizing, just do it right. I've had this feeling so many months in a row. Oops, this month I sucked. Sorry. No more sorry's. 

What I need is a vacation fund. I have a mini-vacation every month through July. Next month I might be going on a road trip to Idaho. Then I have a four-day music festival. Then I have a family trip (I'm buying the flight this week - $500ish). I don't know how to tell if I can afford these things or not. Just because I have the money doesn't mean I can afford it. Is the only way for me to save to have the money taken out automatically, a la a 401(k)?

These questions remain unanswered, which I fear will only add up to more "sorry's."

Anyway, what did I do right this month? I got my tax return, and I sent it right to my mom. Note that I am $300 away from paying her off! 




Upswing!

 

1 comments:

Jeri said...

Yay for the 401K! Yay for reducing mom debt! Every little step counts. Have you considered an automatic transfer of funds every month to Savings? If it's not in your checking account you are less likely to spend it, then you will accrue vacation and emergency money. If you can restrain your impulses, think about each purchase, plan for and only buy things you really want or need, you can take those mini vacations without guilt:) Love you!

Post a Comment