A blog for those who are bad with money. A blog for those who have debt. A blog for those who find their bills crumbled on the floor of their cars with ketchup smeared on them.

Monthly Money Check-in: Nov '12


This month, I made a lot of money. Then I spent more. 

Ain't that always the way. In came a big commission. I had planned to use it for my flight home for Christmas . After I bought that, someone suggested I take a certificate course at the University of Washington. So I did that. Then, I got an invitation to a cousin to visit. It was a nice gesture. I hadn't seen them in years. But I decided, you know what, I want to go. So I decided to visit them for Thanksgiving. 

Now, I've spent more than that nice commission I got. The commissions that, by the way, are supposed to be going straight into savings. Worse, I kept having to borrow money from my boyfriend, use his credit cards. I'm making more money, but it's still the same old me. 

Worse, I've started tracking my spending on Mint.com. 
Between restaurants and groceries, I'm spending $676 on food every month. Good God. Granted, I do buy groceries for my boyfriend and I. But he buys some too. 

So...this shows that I have a little bit more than I have last month. But to be honest...I haven't paid my rent yet. I might have to dig into my emergency fund, which is barely a fund yet. 

To remind myself how far I have to go, I made the top scale of my charts at my goal. Things don't look so impressive. 
My goal is to get my net worth positive, so zero is at the top. 

I set the top at $6,000 because that's my goal for cash on hand.

Remember, last year the holidays were a huge dip. I'm just hoping to stay steady until January.


1 comments:

Jeri said...

Feel good that your bottom line is improving. That said, if you have to borrow money to maintain your lifestyle, you are living above your means, which is like living a lie. Robbing Peter to pay Paul can cause all kinds of conflict in your life, and ultimately increase stress. You have to ask yourself "Is it worth it?" Borrowing against the future is a gamble. Always having enough money at the end of the month is peace of mind.

Post a Comment