A blog for those who are bad with money. A blog for those who have debt. A blog for those who find their bills crumbled on the floor of their cars with ketchup smeared on them.

Monthly Month Check-in: June 2012


I was just feeling bad about not making as much progress as I'd hoped, when I decided to compare really calculate how far I've come in an Excel column called “Situation Improved By:” It compares my net worth now with my net worth when I started my money rehab in October 2011. The situation has officially improved by $8,055. 

That's an average of $1,000 a month I'm putting toward saving in my 401(k) or paying off debt. Damn. Go me. Ok, so I still can't keep four digits in my bank account, but I'm working around it, and I'm making progress. 

=====================================================================
Planning ahead is almost the most important thing. Convenience costs money. 

So I have two vacations back to back, and I was sensing a possible disaster. But on the first one I did pretty damn well. We went to a music festival, where I would normally buy every little trinket on sale, drink $9 beers, and eat their crappy $10 quesadillas.
But the boyfriend and I actually went to the grocery store. We actually got stuff for good sandwiches -- sopressata and sliced gouda and even napkins and paper plates. We spent about $100 and it fed us for the weekend. Our only sin was two ill-advised $14 margaritas that tasted like a kid puking up Kool-Aid. I wanted a sweatshirt but decided to wait on the purchase, then I ended up buying one the next night when I was freezing. I've been in the market for a new hoodie anyway. It’s nice to be able to solve the problems that can be solved by money, because you actually have some.
And, the leftovers provided almost a week of lunches.
The AllRecipe app is the shit.
Part of me has this resistance to planning ahead, because planning ahead sometimes means putting down a chunk of change. Like grocery shopping, you're going to spend $100, at least. And that seems like a lot, even though the smarter part of you knows that you'll spend more on a $15 lunch here and a $25 dinner there. Last night we actually went grocery shopping, using Allrecipe.com's shopping list and accompanying app, which worked like a charm. 

I also have this resistance to getting out the $150 for spending money for the week (that has not been going well, btw.)

It’s like I don’t want to take that chunk out of my bank account. Somehow it feels like I’ll spend less if I don’t get that money out, which is BS. 


Here are the graphs for the month. A slowing down of paying off debts, but still on the way up! (Grr that stupid dip in the middle!)



I'm into the -$50,000s. Woohoo!

One of my retirement accounts took a $600 hit, I noticed. I was hoping to have my boyfriend paid back by now but it hasn't happened. Slow and steady is what I'm going for!

1 comments:

Jeri said...

Hi Paulette, Congratulations on your improved money situation. "Working on it" is paying off for you. Curbing the impulse to "buy" will ensure better security in your life. Going to the grocery store was smart, saved $ and ate healthier. Win, win. By looking at what you do have$, being honest with yourself (and everyone else) &learning to live on what you make, you are saving yourself from borrowing against the future. Love you! 

Post a Comment